The original building at The Inn at Ormsby Hill was built in 1764 by Thompson Purdy and is one of the oldest structures in Manchester. Now this historic building houses the inn’s formal living room, the Gathering Room and the Library, Taft and Lincoln guest rooms. The basement portion of the inn still contains the marble slabs that were abundant in the 18th Century. In the foyer of the old entrance is the smoke room where meats were hung and cured. It is believed that Ethan Allen hid in this “room” during the Revolutionary War. The house also may have served as a safe house for the Underground Railroad.